Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Blog Post 11

First Graders in Ms. Cassidy's Classroom

After watching Ms. Cassidy’s Classroom video, I found it very entertaining. I feel like she is right on target with learning. The kids look very involved and eager to learn more about their topics. In the video, it showed the kids making blogs and watching learning videos on the web. It also showed a tool called Wikis. This tool would allow the kids to post the topic or idea they wanted to learn about and allow people from other places comment about the topic. The peoples’ comments would help explain to the children what the idea truly meant. I loved this idea because that is how I learn better is through hearing and viewing different examples. Another fun thing Ms. Cassidy did in the classroom was she allowed the students to take videos. These video would help them learn by being able to view themselves later on and see their examples of the topics. Also, she talked about having a class webpage and on the webpage include different links that allowed the students to view them. These links included educational games and fun sites in which the kids loved to use. She turned learning into something the kids enjoyed at home and were eager to engage in their topics. I believe that kids learn more by being involved in the process rather than just being lectured.

The Skype between Sr. Strange and Ms. Cassidy


After watching the Skype video between Ms. Cassidy and Dr.Strange, I learned a lot about technology. I learned that anyone can do it. Dr. Strange asked her about here first time working with technology or what made her want to incorporate it. She talked about how when she was younger in a classroom, it was never used and that upset her. I completely agree about how technology was barley used when I was a child. I think that if I had the hands on technology and entertainment to learning as students do now, then I would have engaged way more and learned more. She talked about how her students now use their blogs to improve their writing skills, make videos, and use audio skills. Her students have enjoyed communicating with students around the world and learning the amazing things the web can teach you.

I found it very interesting that only one other teacher at her school uses technology to teach. I think that it will be very difficult to change, but it will be more beneficial in the end because that is what the world is working around. I thought it was great how she had the support of the parents and administrators during her teaching process. It also helps that she sent out letters explaining that she will keep the children safe and wants to help them learn through technology. I enjoyed her quote, "We must always keep learning," because the web is full of new information and students can always research new material.

I loved Ms. Cassidy's advice about start using technology where you are interested the most. She also talked about the use of social media. She uses twitter often which I found very interesting because I love twitter. I found it very neat that Dr. Strange actually found her on twitter and maybe I can find someone helpful tools on there too. I enjoyed that fact that depending on the assignment will determine the amount of times the children use their blog. It was interesting that she did not get them to blog daily, but I like that because they also use different tools in the classroom.

Overall, I really enjoyed Ms. Cassidy's blog and felt it was very useful. I loved listening to how she teaches and tools she uses in the classroom. It really opened up my eye to a new way of teaching and I really enjoyed it. I think that if more technology was incorporated when I was a child, then I would enjoy learning more. I feel as though I will use these methods in my classroom. I find that the most helpful tool that Ms. Cassidy described is to find out your students' interests. I will make sure I figure how they learn the most and use that to get them involved.

This is an image showing that the world must change through technology



2 comments:

  1. Good job on your summaries but don't forget to proofread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary

    I read your blog and it was good.It only had a few errors that I saw and those were spelling errors.I agree with you about the Dr. Strange skype video. It was a good video and I learned alot from watching the video myself.In Ms. Cassidy class I also liked how she used technology in her class to help them learn too.Overall, the blog was fantastic and you made good points.Just do some proofreading and you will be fine.

    ReplyDelete