Sunday, October 21, 2012

Blog Post 8

This is How We Dream


In the videos This is How We Dream Part One and Part Two, Dr. Richard Miller gave a presentation at Rutger’s University titled “The way we teach now.” After reading and completing the assignments assigned by Dr. Strange, I have enjoyed exploring technology more and using it. Throughout my years of schooling, I grew up writing with pencils and pens and doing manual research. Schools in the future will eventually just have laptops in front of their desk and doing all their work through the web. I think that this method is great but I do not think that students should no longer use their pencils. I believe the pencil is an essential tool to learning and writing.

Teachers play a major role in student’s success and have affected every accomplished person in some way. No matter what tool students use to learn, it is always important that they get the correct amount of information to lead them in the right direction. Wether students are using pencils or the internet, learning is just as important and always has been. The difference has and always will be how much effort the student is willing to put into the assignments and how helpful the teachers can be. Mr. Miller talks about the increasing popularity of ebooks. I completely agree with him in the state that one day all books will be on ebooks and there will be no need to go to books a million.

I completely agree with the use of technology in order to enhance education. Without technology, I would be lost and would lose a major source for information. Without blogging, you tube, google crome, facebook, or twitter I do not know where I would be. I use the internet to help me catch up from class I have missed from tennis. It has helped me look up information to get me through the school year. I cannot imagine if my students did not have this same opportunity.

This is a child dreaming of the future






Carly Pugh Blog Post #12


In Carly Pugh's blog post, I was not surprised to see so many wonderful suggestion’s in Carly’s Blog Post #12. Carly has given me so many wonderful tips this year in her blog comments and lab sessions. I really appreciate her belief and use in technology in all the suggestions she shares with out class. After reading her post, I came to think a little bit different of technology and a greater appreciation for it. It makes me seem to be a bit more open about technology in general. I hope that one day I can be as excited and enthusiastic as Carly is with technology and her students. I cannot wait to use this advice Carly has given me with my students to improve my classroom.

EDM 310 Is not for Dummies or Chipper Procrastinators

The Is not for Dummies and Chipper Procrastinators were two great videos. The Chipper series started out with a girl who could not stop procrastinating. She drops out of school and begins to have job trouble which makes her become a student who can work hard. This video shows students how important it is to work hard and how procrastination gets you nowhere in life. EDM 310 for Dummies is a book that students are trying to sell. It is a book that gives students tips on how to get an A in EDM 310. All the tips have to do with is using tools that are provided for us. If we use what is provided for us, rather than getting overwhelmed and panicking then we will do just fine in this class. Also, we must always get our work done in a timely manner and not last minute.
These were not only informative videos but were very interesting and helpful. I hope to make my videos interesting and fun with I am trying to teach my classes in the future.

This shows a book for dummies



Learn to Change, Change to Learn

I found this video very interesting but not new information. Children are growing up using technology daily for social networks. Almost all kids grow up with cell phones or ipods or some sort of electronic device. Technology is something that kids grow up with but are using them for non-educational reasons. All these electronic devices are banned in a classroom, so it automatically gives off the negative vibe. Kids need to learn to use their electronic devices for education purposes and they would gain a lot of useful learning tools. As the video mentioned, all the technology and social networks that kids use it is a great environment for them to learn.
As a future teacher, I want to be able to incorporate as much technology as possible in my classroom. Children grow up using technology anyways and I want to teach them how it can be beneficial to them through learning. By using tools that children are already interested in can be very beneficial in the classroom. When students enjoy learning and listening then it is much more efficient. Overall, I found this video very interesting to watch.

This shows that everyone can learn to change



Scavenger Hunt

I really loved this idea of the scavenger hunt. It was not only fun, but a useful assignment. I found several helpful tools that will be very useful when I’m an educator.

I found a social network that both teachers and students can use called google docs. I find this network very helpful because the teacher can add something to your writing and you can view it through your own account. I have created myself an account and have gotten very familiar with it and cannot wait to eventually incorporate it into my classroom and work on my student’s paper at the same time they are doing it their selves.

I made my own comic by going to Make Belief Comix website. I think this could be a fun activity for my students in the future.
My comic can be viewed through Mary Angela's Comic


Animoto is a video tool that I have never used before. After looking at it I have seen some very cool features. It has a spotlight that allows you to spotlight a specific image. It also is very easy to share and download your videos. A really helpful feature of Animoto is that it automatically analyzes music and video clips. I cannot wait to use this is my classroom soon.

5 comments:

  1. Mary,

    Great job on Blog Post #8. I thought it was well thought out and very thorough. I'm glad I'm not the only one that believes that pencils and paper cannot be totally replaced, even thought I know technology has become prevalent.
    Great use of pictures and links as well. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mary Anglea, Great job on your blog post. I think that I will always use pencil and paper. I have also learned a lot through EDM310. Maybe I can use it in my classroom, if it doesn't kill me first. I only found a few problems. In paragraph one, you need a comma after great. In the second paragraph, "wether" should be spelled whether. Books-A-Million should be capitalized. In your comments for EDM310 for Dummies, I think you need a comma after panicking, and videos. My other suggestion would be to have your comic strip on the page instead of a link. I thought that your post was AWESOME!!!! Keep up the good work. Thanks, Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I believe the pencil is an essential tool to learning and writing." Do you really mean that we could not learn and could not write if all pencils were to disappear tomorrow? That is what you are saying when you use the word essential.

    "...books a million." I think you mean the company. The name of a company should be capitalized.

    It appears to me that you miss the main point of Dr. Miller's video. He says books first contained printed words. Later pictures were added. Now books are multi-media products containing text, pictures, video and audio. (The iBook added manipulative 3-D objects after Dr. Miller created his video). And he advocates we write with multi-media. Certainly that is a very long way from pencils!

    Reread your paragraph on Carly's post. Make an outline of what you tell your reader about what she did and said. Here is what I find: [I saw] " many wonderful suggestion’s in Carly’s Blog Post #12." That is it. Nothing else.

    "The Is not for Dummies and" You need EDM310 before Is.

    Not much of a summary at all! Did you watch these video? If so, you missed everything they had to say.

    Your summary of Learning to Change, Changing to Learn is incomplete. In fact, you summarize it with only one thought: "Children are growing up using technology daily for social networks." That's it. Did you watch this video? If so, you missed everything it had to say. This is exactly my comment on the Chipper Series.

    "I found a social network that both teachers and students can use called google docs." Where does Google Docs fit into the List of Things to Find in the assignment. Beats me!

    Unsatisfactory. It's as if you didn't do the assignment at all. At least the evidence you provide convinces me that you didn't.



    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Dr. Strange,
    Thank you for your comments and I did watch the videos but I interpreted the instructions wrong. We were on the road and I was not able to spend as much time needed to for this assignment. I will make sure this does not happen again and will improve the corrections on my following blogs. Again, sorry for blog post and will make sure all corrections are fixed next time. Also, I will check my use of wording, I did not mean essential in that way but thank you for pointing it out.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mary,

    I really enjoyed to read your post. Your blog post has pictures and it is easy to read though it. I think your post #8 has lots of interesting and factual points. I really like our post, but I think you have mistakes.

    "Wether students are using pencils or the internet, learning is just as important and always has been."

    I think it is

    "Whether students are using pencils or the internet, learning is just as important and always has been."

    Keep up your great works!

    Keiko Ito

    ReplyDelete