Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Blog Post 7


The Networked Student


The video The Networked Student is very interesting and gives me a completely different view of students using the internet. It reminds me a lot of the class EDM 310 that I am taking now. Although, I feel like sometimes it is difficult to constantly use the web to search for different materials, it can also be easier. I feel like different educators decide to teach in different ways. Although some want to incorporate technology into their teaching where as others would rather just lecture. I feel as an educator, I will eventually have to make the decision of what I would rather do. Although, it is nice not having to come and sit in a classroom, be able to do the work on your own, and your own time; it can be difficult to not have someone in front of you telling you what to do.

Throughout the video, the student is taught by a teacher entirely through the web. They will meet on certain days and the teacher will teach him how to find answers on his own. She gives him a lee way by giving him tools and resources, but he spends most of his time networking and finding the information himself. The purpose the student is trying to do is to network around the world to find teachers or connections that can give him valuable information. The teacher never actually spends time in the classroom lecturing, but the student is still learning valuable information.

The questioned asked is, “Why does a networked student need a teacher?” I feel that a teacher is there for guidance and support. Without the teacher, the student would not have the resources or tools he or she needs to find the valuable information. For example, in EDM 310 if we were just given the checklist and no guidance, no idea where to find the information, or how to complete the projects, I would be lost. Without the teacher, there is no one there if you have questions or feel as though you are not on the right tract. Although there is a tremendous amount of information on the web, it is hard to know the right place to look if there is no one there to guide you.

This shows a student being connected to the web



A 7th Grader's PLE

After watching, A 7th Grader's PLE, I have seen many similarities to my PLN and the 7th graders PLE. I was stunned to see how useful she is with the internet. I have also started getting familiar with Symbaloo because I have recently been trying to get used to it. I am trying to organize my personal stuff from my school stuff. I think that EDM 310 has improved my PLN because I am becoming very familiar with the internet and learning several tools that can be very useful to me. I am also trying to find several links on the web that will help me with learning. When I am gone for tennis, I have to find different resources because I am no longer in the classroom to learn. I have found different websites and links that have helped me get through school so far. I am very lucky that my PLN has improved so much and I hope that I can eventually get to be as organized as the PLE by a 7th grader.

This shows a little girl interacting with the internet

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mary,

    I really enjoyed your blog. I totally agree with you about teachers there for guidance. We would be so lost if we didn't have Dr. Strange, or his assistants when we needed help with projects. You did a really good job on your blog.
    Anna

    ReplyDelete