Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Blog Post #10

I'm a Papermate. I"m a Ticonderoga


After viewing this cartoon "Im a Papermate. I'm a Ticonderoga", I thought of several possibilities he was trying to send to his viewers. The main point I think this cartoon is trying to get across is that we are sick of the old pencil and paper ways. We no longer need just pencil and paper to learn because our world is becoming more advanced. I think that by saying the Ticonderoga is more money, they are stating the fact of wether we should spend more money on technology. Although paper and pencils are cheaper, it is no longer allowing students to engage in the real world. Students would not know what is truly happening in the world, if they were not able to use the internet. I believe the idea of just paper and pencils is gone and we need to start incorporating more technology in our students lives.

This is a picture showing the difference between paper and pencils



Mr. Spencer's Blog Post


I read his blog, "Why Were your kids playing games?", I really enjoyed reading it. It talked about how a teacher was interacting his students by playing games with them instead of memorizing material. The pricipal was throughly upset with this process, but what he did not realize is the children were actually learning the material. I think that it is way better to interact the kids because they actually learn the material rather than just memorize it. I feel as though the principal did not understand the concept of teaching. The teacher needs to get the kids involved and let them enjoy learning. When teachers tend to stick a worksheet in front of you and say memorize the material, my brain shuts down. I would much rather be interacting and enjoy learning the material.

Another blog post I read was, "Remember pencil Quests?", I thought this post was different and exciting. I wish I was in that class and could take exciting pencil quests. I enjoyed that fact that with a simple pencil he was interacting the students and getting them excited. Students were asking questions about where their going or how many pages they will explore. I think this reminds me of the internet because no matter what, you never know where you may end up. There are so many pages to explore and so much information. I cannot wait until one day, I will incoorate fun quests into my learning and get the students excited about this adventure. I feel as though he is saying that there should be no limit to learning. Even with a simple pencil, a student can go on a quest to reach their destination. Learning should be fun and should interact the students rather than just writing and memorizing with no purpose at all.

This is a picture of pencils which should show there is no limit to writing



Dr. Scott McLeod


After reading, "About me", I found out a lot of useful information about Dr. McLeod. He is serving as the Director of Innovation for Prairie Lakes Area Education Agency 8 in Iowa. He was an Associate Professor of Educational Leadership at the University of Kentucky. Dr. McLeod also is the Founding Director of the UCEA Center for the Advanced Study of Technology Leadership in Education. Most of all, he is recognized as one of the nation’s leading academic experts on K-12 school technology leadership issues. I found him as a very interesting man.

After reading his post, "Don't teach your kids this stuff, Please?", I enjoyed this post. I thought it was humorous and different. I can understand his point to an extent. I think that it was interesting how he told people to not teach their kids this stuff because he wants his kids to have a leg up. I feel as though if you do not let your children explore the internet they will never know what is going on in the world. The internet is a useful tool to learning and there is harm everywhere not just on the internet. I feel like teachers should explain the importance of using the web and show how you can use it for learning. He shows the negatives and explains how you should not show you kids the useful tools of the web due to the harmfulness of it. At the end, he states that he does use it with his students, which makes you think he does not want others to do it with their students so his will be ahead. Overall, I believe there will be issues with the web along with everything else. I think that our world is centered around technology and if you do not integrate it in your classrooms, they will be behind.

This is a picture of a baby using the internet, showing if children should be allowed on the web

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mary, I found your post to be very thoughtful. Although you had different views from my own it was very enjoyable to read. In addition, you made some spelling and/or grammatical errors. They are as follows:
    1.“…cartoon "Im a Papermate. I'm a Ticonderoga", I thought of…” In this sentence change Im to I’m.
    2.“…they are stating the fact of wether we should spend more money…” Change wether to whether.
    3.“…incorporating more technology in our students lives.” Change students to students’
    4.“…teacher was interacting his students by playing games with…” Change interacting to Interacting with
    5.“…The pricipal…” Change to principal
    6.“…was throughly upset with this…” Change to thoroughly
    7.“…better to interact the kids because…” Change to interact with the kids
    8.“…I enjoyed that fact that with a simple…” Change that fact to the fact
    9.“…pencil he was interacting the students and getting…” Change interacting to interacting with
    10.“Students were asking questions about where their going or how many pages they will explore.” Change to “Students were asking questions about where they were going or how many pages they will explore.”
    11.“…I will incoorate fun quests into…” Change incoorate to incorporate
    Other than these mistakes the post was readable and it showed me a different view on the topics discussed in this assignment.

    ReplyDelete