Friday, September 28, 2012

Blog Post #5

The iSchool Initiative


The video The iSchool Initiative by Travis Allen, talks about instead of using books, paper, and notebooks in class this teenager wants to change everything in the school to operate through an I-touch which would be called I-School. There would be Apps for everything including maps, presidents, calculators, and all the subjects. Instead of students using paper for notes they would use the note App and would allow them to email the notes to their teacher and receive the notes as well if they missed class or didn’t get all the material. There would also be a classic App that would include all your textbooks and you would not waste any resources or paper. This App would allow you to turn pages and read the chapters straight from the I-school. I think the assignments App is an exceptional App because it shows you your assignments that you have to complete and your teacher can see them right away. I think this App is great because many students forget their assignments or need help from teachers and it is all given to you in an App.

After watching the video, I think that his idea is actually very interesting. I think that students and children already spend all their time on their iPhones and would be able to master these Apps because they are already so useful to students. One major important factor of this video is the money it will save the students and this is easier on the parents and students in college. Also, it helps the environment and people are always complaining on how our country is polluted and too many trees are being cut down, now is our opportunity to do something about it. I think this is a great idea and everyone is already so familiar with technology so we should incorporate it into schools.

This shows an itouch that will eventually help students learn

Eric Whitacre's Virtual Tour

I think that the Eric Whitacre's Virtual Tour by Eric Whitacre, video was amazing. Technology is really an incredible thing for someone to be able to do that with all the voices of different people. It was an incredible experience because I have never seen something that unique. The idea that he has never met these people is truly amazing and shows how technology can do amazing things. I think that this shows so much like how far technology has come in the world because no one has truly realized the amazing things it is capable of. Overall, it completely opened my eyes and I absolutely loved it.

This shows several different voices from unknown people being made into a choir

Why I flipped my classroom and Dr. Lodge McCammon's FIZZ


After watching Why I flipped my classroom by Katie Gimbar and Dr. Lodge McCammon's FIZZ by Dr. Lodge McCammon videos, I have come to the conclusion that I really am interested in this idea. I could definitely find myself using this strategy in my own classroom for a number of reasons. I think that all students are different and in order to keep their attention and them wanting to learn more you must challenge them. I think that this strategy is great because each student deserves to be on their own pace of learning and understand the material on their own time. I think that allowing the students to teach themselves and hear the lecture as many times as they need is the perfect method to teaching. I would really recommend using this strategy because I always learned better when the teacher was able to give me her attention and help me because I was embarrassed to ask questions during class. I cannot wait to use this strategy in my own classroom.
This shows a classroom that has been flipped which means the teacher has changed her methods



Teaching in the 21st Century

After watching the video Teaching in the 21st Century by Kevin Roberts, he thinks that teaching in the 21st century means to learn and understand the concepts. He thinks it is going to change through all the students because they are using the internet for everything like commenting, tagging, and searching for information. I think he is exactly right that the use for the web is becoming so popular in schools and students are figuring out the importance of it. I think that Roberts is correct that we must incorporate all the tools that students are already so familiar with and enjoy using into learning with these tools. The methods we choose to use to help these students must be challenging and I as an educator must challenge these students and make them work to the best of their ability. I do not think it will affect me as an educator I will just have to learn to use these methods into what I intend to teach my students and realize that they will learn better this way. I think the main purpose of the educator is to engage the students and that’s what I plan on doing even if it means I must change my methods.
This shows a computer which represents how educator will eventually have to transform all their work over to the internet

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your comments. We think a lot alike. I too am excited about the benefits of the iSchool Initiative. Your grammar,spelling and organization of thoughts are good. A suggestion for improvement that I would add to Teaching in the 21st Century is rewording this sentence "I do not think it will affect me as an educator I will just have to learn to use these methods into what I intend to teach my students and realize that they will learn better this way." to read "I do not think it will affect me as an educator. I will learn to include these methods into the lessons I teach and monitor how much better they learn." I think your graphics are great and you've done very well in expressing your ideas on these videos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary,

    Good job on your post. I'm glad that you have found some useful information form this assignment! These new ways of teaching and learning are only getting more diverse, so having a basic knowledge about these things is very important to the 21st Century teacher.

    I found several grammatical errors in your post. Make sure you are proofing. Sometimes it helps to have someone else proof your post also. They might find mistakes that you couldn't.

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete