Sunday, September 9, 2012

Blog Assignment #2

Did you know? 3.0 – John Strange 2012 Version by John Strange

You can look at this video at Did You Know?
I watched the video Did you know? 3.0 - A John Strange 2012 Version by John Strange. I though this video was very interesting and provided me with facts I did not already know. I had no clue that our country is so illiterate compared to other countries across the globe. For example, 25% of India’s population has stronger IQs then our entire country combined. India started becoming more knowledgeable than the United States in kindergarten which explains so much because the smaller you are when you learn the more you remember. It was very interesting how the top 25% of kindergarteners will soon be the honor students in high school and I would understand how that is possible because the more you learn when your little the longer the knowledge stays with you as you get older.

I think that the facts made about the internet and technology is incredible. Our world has become more and more dependent on technology and people all over the world devote so much time to their computers instead of getting out and interacting face to face with human beings. I think the number of times Americans visit Google and YouTube is outrageous but does not surprise me at all. Also, the amount of text messages sent throughout the day by students did not surprise me because this is the problem with students they have lost the interest to communicate with others and are just concerned about phones or computers. I have seen this become a problem because I have seen someone instead of dealing with a problem with another student they text their response to the problem and the issue only becomes bigger. I believe that it is ruining our society and the need for students to learn and interact with others. Overall, I thought it was a great video because it provided me with knowledge I had known about but did not realize the severity of the problems we are having in this country and the challenges I will be dealing with as an educator.

Mr. Winkle Wakes

You can check out this video at Mr. Wrinkle Wakes
The Mr. Winkle Wakes video by Mathew Needleman starts out with Mr. Winkle waking up from a coma after 100 years of sleeping and realizes the world has become more advance. He first walks into the hospital and sees that people are being kept alive by machines and masks they are wearing. He also notices all the computers in the offices that people are working from and the telephones surrounding them. It is not until he walks into the schools that everything seems normal again.

After watching the video Mr. Winkle Wakes, it made me realize how much technology has increased over the years and how much it has changed our society. Personally I think that it has changed for the good and the worse for society because it has increased our chances in helping save lives and make people’s lives easier but also has decreased the ability to communicate with the outside world. Overall, I believe that the technology has advanced for the better use of our society rather than the worse because things are becoming easier and we are saving more lives. The one place that technology has not advanced is the school system in which students are still receiving lectures and taking notes without technology. I believe that they should increase the technology in schools because if it is being used so much in the real world then the students need to already be familiar with it.

Sir Ken Robinson – The Importance of Creativity

This video can be viewed at The Importance of Creativity
The video of the importance of creativity by Sir Ken Robinson talks about the creativity in schools. It was very interesting the man talked about how creativity in schools is not stressed as much as literacy, but it is just as important. I completely agree with this statement because it is so important that children express their full potential of their creative mind. This video tells about how no matter if the child knows what their talking about or not they take a shot at it anyways and explain what they do know and are never afraid of being wrong. He tells us that a big problem we are having in schools is kids are being educated out of creativity and it is said that we are born artists but we are not able to express it because we are taught out of creative minds.

He starts to talk about his move to America. He talks about the educational system and how they are all the same and the systems are very similar in how the arts are disregarded. He talks about how we teach math everyday but not dance and music and they can be elective and should be required courses. I agree with this statement because it is important to experience with your creative mind as much as it is to experience with your intellectual part of your mind. Overall, this video is talking about how the education is not diverse and just focuses on one aspect when really there is so many parts of learning. People around the world are not being able to get jobs when their getting out of college because they do not have a master or PhD and need to go to more school, so they are resorting to video games and giving up. I think that schools should go back to being diverse and should teach students all the aspects of learning both creative and intellectual.

My Reaction to A Day Made of Glass

You can check out these videos at A Day Made of Glass
The video A Day Made of Glass by corningincorporated gave me a scare about what our future is coming too. After watching all the videos about glass, the future, schools, and Mr. Wrinkle Wakes I have learned about how fast technology advances in society. I believe that these advances are good and bad in different ways. I think that technology can be good in ways that help us save lives and find cure for cancer, but it takes away from the knowledge in our brain and how much we have learned in schools. It is becoming to the point that machines are running our lives and we are not even creating our own thoughts. It is hurting our communication skills in order to interact with others and have a face to face conversation.

These technology advances are preventing children around the world from going outside and playing. I believe that it is taking away from the creative mind that children have because schools are being forced to focus on the intellectual part rather than the creative part. I think schools should prepare the students for the rapid changes in society because in schools everything is not advancing like it is in the real world and everything is still being done manually. I think that technology is advancing too fast for humans to keep up with and eventually will take over the world and we will no longer have to do anything manual like it was showed in the A Day Made of Glass video. Overall, I am scared for our society and the rate that technology is advancing because it is becoming too much and people are starting not be involved with the outside world.

3 comments:

  1. Mary,

    You apparently disagree with the main points of these videos. We aren't supposed to be afraid of technology. You state: "I think that technology can be good in ways that help us save lives and find cure for cancer, but it takes away from the knowledge in our brain and how much we have learned in schools. It is becoming to the point that machines are running our lives and we are not even creating our own thoughts. It is hurting our communication skills in order to interact with others and have a face to face conversation."
    Aside from the fact that your argument isn't very well articulated, you seem to have hit upon one of the main arguments some educators have against change. Namely, that too much technology leads to degradation in the classroom. However, if technology--like that shown in these videos--is used correctly and in moderation without relying too heavily on it, then not only is creativity enhanced in the classroom, but the students are also learning with tools they are comfortable with.

    For your next post you need to be sure to proof-read your work because I spotted a lot of spelling errors as well as grammatical mistakes. I recommend writing your posts in a Word document. This will catch the small things, like spelling, the majority of the time. Also, if a sentence appears a little clunky (and by that I mean difficult to read/understand), then try to read it aloud and figure out what can be changed. Sometimes it's because you have two sentences put together without the proper connective punctuation or conjunctions. You also need to have a picture for each post with the proper ALT and TITLE modifiers in the HTML code. The Blog Post Assignment instructions has links to some ways to improve your posts. Check them out. It also tells you where to go to do the ALT and TITLE modifiers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary,

    I enjoyed reading your post and hearing your point of view on these topics. Dr. Strange's video, "Did You Know 3.0," was very interesting, and the statistics in the video were incredible. I agree with your statement that the younger students are when they start learning things and putting them into practice, the easier it is for them to retain knowledge as they grow older. I was a little confused though on where you stand when it comes to technology in general and in schools. You stated that you believe it is necessary for schools to increase the technology they provide, but then you said that technology is preventing children from playing outside and that it scares you. In my opinion, I think schools should offer the best of both worlds. Students should have the opportunity to use technology in the classroom for certain tasks and at certain times, but I feel students should also be offered the opportunity to take a P.E. class or have recess time. I know I personally was offered both growing up, and I feel that many, if not most, schools do offer both. I don't think you should feel afraid of the advancement in technology, but I think we should embrace it as future educators.

    I also wanted to remind you about adding a picture to your blog post and using the ALT and TITLE modifiers. I caught a few spelling errors in your post, and I was lost on a few of the longer sentences. Overall, I believe you showed a good understanding of the videos we had to watch, and I look forward to talking with you in the future. Best wishes on your continued journey in EDM310!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary,

    I loved reading your blog post. You were very thorough in explaining what you liked about the videos. I agree with you on so many things in your blog about these videos. For example, I learned from watching Mr. Winkle Wakes how important technology is also. The only thing that i would recommend that you do is check your sentence structure and spelling.

    ReplyDelete